In The Beginning...
79 years ago the Captain of the South Caernarvonshire Yacht Club recorded in his log that on the 9th June racing was opened "by a race for the five boats (four of them new) of the Seabird Class". Although the plan to form a Yacht Club was taken in 1922 the first Commodore was appointed in 1924 and it is that date that is taken as the foundation of the Club.
The First Clubhouse
The first Clubhouse was not built until 1925 and the first races were controlled from the exposed headland as had all the Abersoch Village Regattas since 1881. The records for 1925 also show the first recorded protest when "two boats in the Junior Seabird Class were disqualified because the paid hands had handled the sheets".
From these small beginnings the Club held 11 races in 1925 although the then Captain found that number too strenuous, expanded to two classes racing in 1928. In 1935 the Club took delivery of ten "one-design" dinghies designed and built by C Colquhoun of Dunoon. These open fourteen foot clinker boats, with red cotton sails, were reported in "Yachting World" magazine as one of the fastest dinghies of the day and, at an initial cost of £29, were of good value. The centreboards were manufactured from steel salvaged from the German Fleet scuttled at Scapa Flow back in 1918. They became the third class at SCYC.